Thursday, March 01, 2007

Pixar's New Movie Wall-E


Just got done reading this synopsis, and I gotta say, Pixar's got some big brass ones. To me, this movie sounds absolutely groundbreaking, and is totally different from anything they've done before. The subject matter seems to be WAY over kids heads (not that that's a bad thing at all), and it really seems aimed at older kids and adults (or adult children, like myself). Consider this: Apparently, the first third+ of the movie has NO DIALOG whatsoever. Well done, Pixar! I'm really looking forward to this. I hope they can really make magic happen here. Read the whole thing.

"WALL E" starts out on Earth in the year 2700. Which -- due to the horrible way that humans have treated this planet -- is now just one massive trash heap floating in space.

Earth in fact has become so toxic that -- centuries before our story actually gets underway -- mankind has abandoned the planet. We're now all living aboard the Axiom, this massive spaceship that circles high overhead. Waiting for the day that the planet once again becomes inhabitable.

But the only problem is that mankind hired this enormous, inept corporation -- Buynlarge -- to supervise the clean-up effort. And that company -- in turn -- sent hundreds of thousands of robots down to the planet's surface to pick up all of the trash.

But Buynlarge's Waste Allocation Load Lifters -- Earth Class units really weren't up to the task. And so -- over the centuries -- these robots slowly began breaking down. Until now (as the film's story finally, officially gets underway) there's only one WALL E left running on the entire planet.

2 comments:

Joni said...

Thanks for posting this, Drew. I hadn't heard about it yet, and I think it looks awesome! Of course, I belong to the school of thought that says if it's made by Pixar, it's guaranteed to be good. I had my doubts that Cars would be any good, but then it blew me away and I'm done doubting. :) (I also don't mind a spoiler, so I went ahead and read the whole article you linked... Can't wait to see it!)

Joshua "Doc" Wible said...

Sounds like it could be one of those movies like Castaway, long period of time with no dialogue, nice! Make the viewer actually pay attention to what is going on. Good job Pixar.